Thursday, March 17, 2011

Length Matters!

Credit: http://www.michaelolaf.net/thailandmontessori.html
Do you know how to let foreigners know that I come from Thailand without saying any words?
Bing! Just let them see my real name!

If you know someone from Thailand, they mostly have a very long name or very long family name.
Like mine, my name is Saphassorn (3 syllabus, 10 characters), and my family name is Santijitrungruang (5 syllabus, 17 characters), so total is 8 syllabus and 27 characters Oh my god!

There are 26 alphabets in English. For Thai, there are 44 alphabets and more. The benefit of having so many is Thai can build words that sound like another language. Like, Thai writes "ซานฟรานซิสโก" which is pronounced "San Francisco", exactly same. By the way it's not only English, but also Japanese, Chinese and many more.  

On the other hand, each word we built becomes very long. Especially, when we write Thai to be Karaoke English such as my name. 

And, the longest one that I'm really proud of is...


That's the full name of Bangkok, my city where I come from.
FYI: it's the longest name of the city in the world, also we have a song for that name too! 
Cool, isn't it?




1 comment: